Monday, October 13, 2008

Deep Thoughts by Carey Cooper

A special memory I hold is watching SNL with my Dad in high school. (Yes, this means that I was often at home and not out with friends or on a date.) Oh, and I should mention that my stepmom, Donna, was there too, but she was always asleep. :) One of our favorite skits was "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey." In case some of you aren't familiar with the skit (e.g., my young friends like Lindsay who make me feel really old at times), here are a few examples.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were "just going down to the corner."

If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now.

I don't have a lot of discipline when it comes to journaling (and wouldn't want to bore you with the boring stuff I'd put in a journal anyway), so I've decided to post short "deep (or not so deep) thoughts" as my contribution to the Cooper blog.

For example, the past few days I have been thinking a lot about the difference between want and need. When I was a kid, I would often say to my mom "I need..." (often a new shirt or pair of jeans because I was really into clothes). And my mom would usually reply, "You don't need it. You want it." Well, I'm not sure that I learned the lesson. As one example, today I realized that I was out of my travel face soap. I thought to myself, "Yikes, I need more face soap. Am I going to be able to find it here? And if so, is it going to cost a fortune?" Now, do I NEED face soap? I'm not sure. But I'm an American woman, and Neutrogena has been telling me for years that I do. Well, we'll see. Because starting tomorrow, it's plain old Guatemalan soap for this girl. If you notice a drop in photos of me on this blog, I guess you'll know why...

3 comments:

s h a n n o n b u r n s said...

nice. you could toss in a few Daily Affirmations with Stuart Smalley as well. heehee

Unknown said...

did you think your travel size face soap would last 2 years? my face seems to clear up when i don't wash it at all. (shhh, don't tell anyone that i don't wash my face)

Katy Fitzhugh said...

Hi Carey, I pray all went well when you and Jay visited Camanchaj on Tuesday. You can actually find some familiar brands of face soap in most farmacias, and if you really want Neutrogena, there's a mall in Xela called 'Hiper,' where there's a Wal-mart/grocery store there where you can find it. Inge could probably pick some up for you if you ask.