Friday, October 17, 2008

Deep Thoughts by Carey Cooper

Why is it so difficult to step outside our comfort zone? I've been to the mercado (where we buy a lot of our food, and all our fruits and vegetables) twice in the past week, and although I find it a beautiful and exciting place, I can't help but feel the need to flee the scene! What exactly am I afraid of? I'm not sure, but probably something like this... I walk up to a woman in the market and intend to ask, "Cuanta cuesta?" to inquire about the cost of a vegetable. But instead, I ask something really offensive. And suddenly, the entire market goes quiet and everyone turns to stare at me. Then, one of two things happens. Either all the Mayan women become enraged and attack me OR they fall on the floor laughing. Ridiculous? Definitely. But I'm pretty sure these are the things I fear -- danger and humiliation. And possibly, these are things that kept me from living outside my comfort zone in the US.

P.S. The absense of photos of me on the previous blog has nothing to do with face soap. (This time anyway.)

No comments: