Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy El Dia de Accion Gracias! Gobble, Gobble

During this time of year I usually find myself thanking God for all the “things” I have. This year, however, I’m feeling blessed for the things I don’t have. Carey and I just recently spent a week in a little town here in Guatemala hosting a Methodist work team from the States. In that time, we witnessed around 628 miracles: 271 medical patients treated, 355 teeth pulled, and two new rooms constructed at the John Wesley Medical Clinic where we served. It was there, among some of the poorest people of Guatemala, that I began to realize just how thankful I was to have “less” this year.
I no longer have disposable income, but now I’ve been given the gift of learning to rely on God and others. I no longer enjoy the safety I had in the States, but now I’ve been given the chance to trust God in unfamiliar situations. I no longer have many of the comforts I’d become accustomed to, but now I’ve been given the opportunity to learn about the cost of following Jesus. So this year, as I lead mission teams on various projects throughout Guatemala and Carey prepares to open the new Susanna Wesley Preschool in January, we both find ourselves thankful, not only for all that we do have, but especially for all that we don’t.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Love,
Jay & Carey

ps - we spent our most unique Thanksgiving ever today with 1 Italian, 2 Guatemalans, 1 Woman from Switzerland, another from Sweden, and a handful of gringos. The only thing that connected us was our ability to speak Spanish (mas o menos)...it was a beautiful thing ; )

No comments: