Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Honey, I Blew Up the Kitchen

When Carey and I moved into our apartment about 7 months ago, the first words out of our landlord's mouth were, "Don't leave the gas on too long before lighting the gas oven."
Oops.
A few days ago my life literally flashed before my eyes as I clicked the fire starter and was blown back onto the counter in our kitchen. The sweet smell of the cinnamon toast I had just prepared and was putting into the oven was quickly replaced by the stink of my arm hair smoldering. Carey screamed. I stared blankly. Neighbors searched for the source of the explosion.

It was kind of cool, actually. The force of the explosion literally blew off the cabinet doors and split the wood in half.
After I came out of my daze, all I could think was, "That could have been a lot worse."
Perhaps men shouldn't be in the kitchen : )

Proud Husband Note: If you read Carey's blog below this one you'll understand why I'm so proud of her. She really modeled to me how to truly help someone. Typically it's easier for me, when confronted with someone who needs help, to either a) throw money at them, b) offer to just "pray for them," or c) ignore their needs, or d) try to avoid them. But Carey did none of these things with Lety. She entered into a friendship with her, has come to understand Lety's dreams and needs, and has offered to help in ways that empower her to take steps toward achieving those dreams. And as a result of spending a lot of time on the computer researching different grants and scholarships, Carey has opened an amazing new door for Lety to walk through. Lety called Carey her "angel." (Note: Carey will try to delete this but I will continue to post it.)

Bad Driver Note: Last week I paid off my first Guatemalan policeman after making an illegal U-Turn. He asked for Q500 and I drove off after slipping him Q100! Bo & Luke Duke got nothin' on me!

2 comments:

FringeDivision said...

oh wow! im glad everything was all right! you guys are awesome :)

Wilson said...

And I get crap for leaving a mess in the kitchen... That is outstanding, in the most positive, "you idiot, glad you're alright so I can laugh at it" kind of way I can muster.