Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Widowmaker

In honor of the late, great pitchman Billy Mays, let me introduce you to a product even he would have a hard time selling...
It's an absolute breakthrough of modern technology and ingenuity! You won't find it in your local Bed, Bath and Beyond, no sir, this baby can only be purchased in the finest developing nations. It's the electric showerhead!! Now I know what you're thinking, "Billy, why would someone mix electricity and water? Didn't mom always say to not bring a toaster with us into the tub?" Yes, but this little water-warming friend is different! As long as you very carefully avoid touching any of the exposed wires or metal parts, electricity won't pass through your body as you stand in 2" of water! It's genius! And what's best is if you call now, I'll throw in our newest product, the diesel-powered toilet! You'll never be constipated again! You get all of this for only 5 easy payments of $19.95!!!

The gringos here call it the "widowmaker." Carey and I just moved into a smaller place to save money, and we're lucky enough to have one. Notice the exposed wires and strange antenna on the side (what the heck is that thing for?) Day one in shower: I reach up to change the setting and get the shock of my life. Needless to say, I let slip a few non-approved words for missionaries.

In other news...
As medical team coordinator, I'm often put in the situation of having to ask dumb questions of my team leaders like, "What's the difference between a vaginal speculum and a vaginal specula?" (one is just the plural of the other. Duh, Jay). One thing I love about this job though is the creativity of the doctors we bring down. Last week I told one of our docs that we don't have any ring forceps for him to use when he is giving gynecological exams to our female patients. He says, in true rural clinic fashion, "Don't worry, I'll just use disposable chopsticks and rubber bands."
I'll let your imagination take it from there... ; )
Peace,
Jay

No comments: