Sunday, August 30, 2009

What It Means To Be A Missionary

I am a missionary. I haven't always claimed that title/role, though. That's because Christian missionaries from America have had a dubious history, to say the least. I believe that now, however, all that is changing.
What is a missionary? A missionary is:
1. someone who attempts to convert others to a particular doctrine or program.
2. someone sent on a mission--especially a religious or charitable mission to a foreign country.
For most of the 19th century it seems, Christian missionaries were mostly (solely?) interested in definition #1. Their mission was to "save" Africans, Latinos, Asians and Europeans by pressing them to convert to the Christian faith. They believed that these foreign peoples spiritual needs (salvation) were greater than their physical needs (food, shelter, etc.). At their best, they lovingly shared the good news of Jesus Christ with people who had never heard of him, and in fact, many people did come to faith in God because of their work. But at their worst, oh boy, where do I even begin? How about a list:
1. Missionaries made the foolish assumption that spiritual needs are more important than physical needs. "Feed their soul, THEN feed their stomachs," we said. Google: Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to see otherwise.
2. Missionaries naively assumed that African villager X, even though he was raised his entire life to believe (fill in the blank), that he would/should promptly change all of his beliefs and accept Jesus as his personal savior. Oh yeah, and if he didn't he was a heathen destined for hell. Not cool.
3. Missionaries (again, not all, but many) believed that the "rest of the world" (read: uncivilized cultures) should be LIKE US (read: Americans). This one for me is the most unfortunate. Instead of learning from foreign cultures and peoples and being changed by them, we tried to change them to be like us. Que Lastima.

Let me be clear about one thing though: I am living in Guatemala because of Jesus. I'm crazy about the guy and I want to share his love and teachings with others. He's my life and my reason for being. I believe he has sent me (and all of us who choose to follow him) on a mission. My mission in Guatemala is to serve the people of Guatemala by helping to provide for some of their most basic needs (health care, nutrition, education), pray for patients and share my faith in Christ (when appropriate), and be utterly changed and shaped by this beautiful country and people - a country and people that God loves just as much as he loves the United States and the American people. That is my mission. I am a missionary.
And believe it or not, so are you.

Peace,
Jay

No comments: