Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Feliz Dia de Independencia!

I think Guatemaltecos may cherish their freedom even more than Americans. September 15th is Independence Day in Guatemala, and it is a BIG deal. The party starts the night before with fireworks (the kind of bombs that are illegal in the States), streets packed with "torch-runners," and bratty little kids (and some adults) throwing water on said torch-runners. The celebratory atmosphere carries over into early Independence Day where all schools close to participate in the village parades.
Carey's school got to walk in the parade with the local Camanchaj school, and it was certainly a sight to see...
Each grade gets to have a "float." Think Rose Parade without roses and a very limited budget. And of course in Guatemala a TOYOTA truck is always there to help out.

The preschool's theme this year was Payasos (clowns!)

The dad's stepped up big-time to help with the float and the face-painting.

This is either super-cute or super-scary. KISS rocks!
I've heard of clown cars, but...

Each grade elects a "princess." Our princess was Jade and she got the first-class Toyota treatment for the parade.

In all their glory!
The proud Director with her minions ; )
In other news... "I really shouldn't have gone in there!"
I'm hosting a big surgery team from Colorado this week, and I've learned and seen things that few people should see. I saw a tubal ligation performed - very cool. But I also saw something called a prolapsed uterus - disturbing. In short, and I had no idea this was possible with the human body, it's when a woman's uterus comes outside of her body. I immediately regretted going into the operating room, but maybe it will make for interesting sermon material one day!
Peace,
Jay

No comments: