Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Deep Thoughts by Carey Cooper

Sometimes learning a new language is like going to therapy. For example, as Jay already pointed out, we frequently rely on about ten verbs when communicating with our Spanish-speaking neighbors and practicing with one another. Well, I realized this past week that I may know ten verbs, but I use the same three over and over again. They are necesitar, deber, and tener que, and here's how I used them today.

Necesito estudiar mas. (I need to study more.)
Debo ir a la iglesia esta semana. (I should go to church this week.)
Tengo que terminar este articulo. (I have to finish this article.)

Now I recognize that these verbs will always be part of my vocabulary, but I would like them to be a bit more balanced with another verb: querer (to want). And perhaps more importantly, I should -- drat! Let me start over. I want to better balance my use of first person ("I") with other personal pronouns (you, she, they). :)

No comments: